How did you spend your Holiday Break (other than working, of course)? Well, I've embarked on a new project - learning to run without hurting myself. This has been a lot of hard work. I stumbled into a personal trainer who is working all of the muscles that should have been helping me run and forcing me to evaluate my eating (who can say 'crazy diet'?)
As an asthmatic child in the 1970s (when there were not good maintenance meds), I simply never learned to run right. I started really running when I was 39. That's kind of late, I suspect. So, I keep trying to tell myself it's probably reasonable that I am having to learn all of this now.
After just one month, I see a difference. Not most excitingly, but easiest to measure, I've lost 8 lbs in the last month - that leaves me just a few short of where I actually want to be (remember - I said it was a crazy diet!). More exciting, I can run up to 5 miles without it hurting anywhere as long as I remember my form - which is still a conscious activity. And, my posture is changing - a lot. This is creating some new challenges (um, laptops and good posture are not good friends at all) and I have to get at least some new clothes. But the work feels like it's the right thing to do.
I have a long way to go, but have taken a lot of steps toward getting there. Happy 2013.
5 comments:
I'd love to be able to run more without hurting myself. I don't do horrible things to my body, but there are definitely more aches and pains than I'd like.
Is the physical side of things primarily with your posture, stride, etc. while running? Or is it more things that you do when not running, like laptop posture you mention?
Sheepish - that's a tough question. I think it's a combination. The issue is that I tend to (always) turn my legs out (stop and look at yourself just standing still sometime - if you're me, at least one foot is pointing outward). This created a situation in which my hips were off-balance and led to/worsened bad computer posture. So, A TON of the work I've been doing has been in the shoulders and through all the little balance muscles that run down my back. At the same time, my gait was all messed up. As my trainer has pointed out - you CAN run a really long way the way I was running, but you're going to hurt yourself! (This is truth, I am sorry to say!) So, the deal with the gait is to both kick my heals up with every step AND control the foot plant on every step - I think it's a more circular motion than I was using. So - the posture all the time is an issue, but the gait wasn't helping. (And, the fact that in particular, one of my hips has decided to rule the run means that I've been all kinds of twisted up while I run.) I highly recommend getting someone who knows how you should look to watch you run and get feedback if anything at all is hurting. You shouldn't have to hurt to run. :-)
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds painful just hearing you describe it!
I think I will take your recommendation. I've never had any kind of coaching or had my gait critiqued. I imagine one can get at least a somewhat-informed bit of commentary from any serious running shop.
Possibly from a running shop (there are certainly good ones around who can do this) - else see if you have kinesiologist or exercise science people at the rec center on your campus (this gets tricky because you certainly have "personal trainers" but there are a bunch of different ways to get certified to be a PT that have nothing to do with being able to analyze a gait!) My trainer here has a background in exercise science AND was a track runner.
if you go to a running shop make sure they understand that you are looking for an analysis of the whole gait and not just how your feet strike (which is what determines whether you need stability shoes). I'll be curious to hear about your experience!
Baby Woolen Cap with Scarf – Warm & Cute
Keep your baby cozy with Apna Showroom’s woolen cap with matching scarf. Soft, breathable fabric ensures warmth without irritation. Stretchable fit for babies 0–12 months. Cute design perfect for winter outings and photoshoots. Protects head and neck Apna Showroom Socks for Baby Boy and Girls, 6 to 12months(Multicolour) - Pack of 6 Pair Designer - Fancy - Attractive
Apna Showroom Baby Boys and Girl's Cotton Panties Bloomer Combo Multicolour, 6-12 Months for 1 Years 12 Pieces Attractive
Apna Showroom Baby's Cotton Panties/Bloomers/Underwear 12 Pieces (3-4 Years)
from cold winds. Easy to wash and quick drying. An ideal winter gift for baby showers. Add this adorable set to your baby’s wardrobe today for comfort and style.
Post a Comment